Oct. 2022 Bike of the Month

Started by FromMaine, October 04, 2022, 10:19:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FromMaine

Before there were "Naked Bikes" and all the Faff and Fluster that went with this new category and all its sub variants, there were, well

Just bikes.

During this time everything on the bike contributed to its function as a motorcycle. Gauges were up and angled to be seen regardless of what it looked like. Side covers were positioned to access vital components, not for looks. Fenders were designed to actually work, and on and on. Tool kits and owners manuals were provided, and at the end of the day a rider could do basic maintenance and trouble shooting on his own.

At the end of the day, Form Follows Function quite often produced aesthetically pleasing bikes. This in my mind is one of them.

Congratulations Bill (Stretch) Your 84 VF700S Sabre is Octobers BOTM.

If memory serves, you now have a BOTM hat trick, and a well deserved one at that.

http://v4hondabbs.com/index.php?topic=68899.0
Michael: 
Midcoast, Maine 
85vf1100S,83vf750f,86vfr750,85vf1000RX2,,97VFR,
90 VFR, 77 CB550

Stretch

Thanks again Michael!

This bike really was a nice bike. I put a new transmission in it and a few other things then rode it for about 500 miles and really enjoyed it. The small sabres are a blast in the twisties and respectable when things straighten out.

I sold this bike to a guy here in lexington and didn't hear anything about it for several years until one year at an SGT when I didn't recognize a guy with a bike that looked like one I had restored. Turns out it WAS my old bike. He'd but about 20,000 miles on it in 3 years and was having a blast.

Turns out, last year I was riding my bicycle on a trail in Lexington and had a flat. I only had a few CO2 containers and I couldn't get them to seal on the stem so I was waiting on my wife to come pick me up. I was sitting on a wall when a guy and girl on E-bikes came by and we began talking. Long story short, it turned out to be the guy I'd sold this sabre to. He'd ridden it for about 5 years and sold it for the bicycle. We had a good talk and he told me how much fun he had with it but he had moved on to bicycles. It made me feel really good that it was a project that turned out so well.

Here's a couple more...

Michael, I still don't have a magna BOM yet.... hint, hint. 2 big sabres, one small sabre and a 1000F, no magna  ;D
83 - VF1100C
84 - VF1100C "The Bast@rd Magna"
2.75 - 84 VF1100S

Radioguylogs

That's certainly a project to be proud of.

I can't believe you only rode it 500 miles.

'80 XS1100SG
'81 XS1100H Venturer
'79 XS750SF

zarticus

2014 Kawasaki Vaquero
2012 Kawasaki Concours 1400
1986 V65 Magna
1984 V65 Magna
1983 V45 Sabre-Sold

TarHeelV4Rider

Nice Sabre! Congratulations, Bill!!
V4's are fun!

Magoo

Wow.

The story is better than the actual bike in this case.  And that's from a Sabre lover.

Great pick Michael and congrats Stretch!

Magoo
I love all motorcycles.  Especially if they're a Honda.

Malm

Looks like a 1 year old bike, tops....  :beer:
1983 V-65 Magna 3.40
West Tennessee

The Dutchy

Congrats Bill..

Think Michael is right.. Dec 2013 (Big Sabre), Feb 2022 (Big Interceptor) and now on the small Sabre makes you a threetimer..What an achievement !!

Keep up the good work and amazing stories.. I like the story on that Sabre...
Those that walk along with the great herd, regularly walks through the crap left behind by others..

Stretch

Quote from: The Dutchy on October 14, 2022, 01:24:51 PM
Congrats Bill..

Think Michael is right.. Dec 2013 (Big Sabre), Feb 2022 (Big Interceptor) and now on the small Sabre makes you a threetimer..What an achievement !!

Keep up the good work and amazing stories.. I like the story on that Sabre...

Don't forget, I've got two big sabre bikes of the month. :-) Danny's sabre has a trophy also.
83 - VF1100C
84 - VF1100C "The Bast@rd Magna"
2.75 - 84 VF1100S

EV

I do not normally like Sabres but if I were to like a Sabre, this would be the one lol.
Congrates Bill, nice clean one!
Myrtle Beach, SC
83 V65 Magna Pearl Siren Blue traded 
for 2x 85 and 1x 84  now restored

V45man1988

The 1984 VF700S Sabre comes from the time that Honda put the cc's a bit lower for reasons of avoiding a tax limit depending on engine size. Those were the days.
Honda VF45 Super Magna 1988
Honda X4 1300 1997