Sept. 2021 Bike of the Month

Started by FromMaine, September 09, 2021, 03:17:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FromMaine

Well, its been a busy month, so I'm late.

This months winner was a no brainer.

2 years ago I bought a VFR and happily went to sea only to come back to the whole Covid thing. The bike was in Canada, and I was not welcome. Well the owner was kind enough and patient enough to keep it in his garage, start it periodically and despite being run into by some woman in a van, seriously breaking his leg, somehow keep a sense of humor.

I finally was able to cross the Border on my second try and pick the bike up last week. Yes I have it in my driveway, but this is about the PO.

Thank you Glenn and Klaricka, you could not have been kinder, more welcoming, or make me feel like I've known you forever. You welcomed a complete and exhausted stranger into your home, and gave him a bed.

Total disclosure, I had not driven a single mile with a trailer behind  me before this, was I nervous, you bet! Glenn was kind enough to unhitch the trailer, help me turn it around as I could not back up to save my life and.....................drive the bike onto the trailer, as I was pretty sure it would not end well if I tried.

Congratulations Slovcan, your 1990 VFR is BOTM, but more importantly, you Sir, are the V4Hondabbs Person of the year for all your efforts.
Michael: 
Midcoast, Maine 
85vf1100S,83vf750f,86vfr750,85vf1000RX2,,97VFR,
90 VFR, 77 CB550

slovcan

Wow, Michael, I am flabbergasted, dumbfounded and almost stuck for words. Almost...

I am not worthy and you are a true gentleman. It was our pleasure to have you here for the night. The stories we could tell - and DID!

:eek: You didn't mention that we did all the bike loading, tie downs and all, in the rain of Hurricane Ida as it blew past Nova Scotia or that it parked on top of you for your entire drive north. Of course, being a sailor, you paid it no mind!

I never imagined that a bike of mine would ever make BOTM. They have all been workhorses - except for the VFR, which was a hangar queen. I tried to keep her in as new condition as possible. I am honoured, Michael. Thank you from Klarika and I!

Glenn
99 Triumph Trophy 900, '02 V-Strom 1000. Iron Butt Association #63720 - SaddleSore 1600K

Stretch

83 - VF1100C
84 - VF1100C "The Bast@rd Magna"
2.75 - 84 VF1100S

luv2fly

Thanks for the story and experience behind the bike.  Makes the bike along for the ride with the friends made.

sabma

The Dutchy

Wow, that's a story..

That is a very good looking RC36-1. Finding one in that condition is hard over here.. Also fairing pieces in good condition.

Nice to see the VFR is being treated that good.
Those that walk along with the great herd, regularly walks through the crap left behind by others..

slovcan

Quote from: The Dutchy on September 13, 2021, 04:13:14 AM
Wow, that's a story..

That is a very good looking RC36-1. Finding one in that condition is hard over here.. Also fairing pieces in good condition.

Nice to see the VFR is being treated that good.

Thank you, Raymond.
99 Triumph Trophy 900, '02 V-Strom 1000. Iron Butt Association #63720 - SaddleSore 1600K

BenNCSU

Sweet bike and awesome story! Congrats Slovcan (and Michael too)!
'83 VF1100C
'01 GL1500CF
'83 VF1100C (sold)
'83 VF750C 4/13 BOTM (sold)

The Dutchy

Quote from: slovcan on September 13, 2021, 09:14:02 AM
Thank you, Raymond.

Bang... And another great example...

Dang, I do remember "whitey" like it was yesterday.. And I can tell by the look at the pic. that it was/is very well maintained.. Those white rims are the bomb, but a nightmare to keep clean. My next gens I always opted for black rims..

I got in contact with "whiteys" current owner on FB. I gave him the "leftovers" and handbook I still had when I sold the bike.. The in between owner neglected her. But the current owner gave her all the love and attention as I did.. The current owner still comes around every now and then. He is a car mechanic, but sometimes get's confused how to work on a compact motorcycle.. He is welcome like any V4 enthousiast that loves these bikes.. We are getting rare nowadays..

Heads-up mate..  :thumb Time for a new chapter..  :thumb

Edit: Is that piece of plastic that makes the side stand fit into the cowling still on ??? That piece is very hard to find to make the bike complete.. (Searched for mine for about five years until i gave up)
Those that walk along with the great herd, regularly walks through the crap left behind by others..

slovcan

Quote from: The Dutchy on September 13, 2021, 02:02:21 PM
Quote from: slovcan on September 13, 2021, 09:14:02 AM
Thank you, Raymond.

Bang... And another great example...

Dang, I do remember "whitey" like it was yesterday.. And I can tell by the look at the pic. that it was/is very well maintained.. Those white rims are the bomb, but a nightmare to keep clean. My next gens I always opted for black rims..

I got in contact with "whiteys" current owner on FB. I gave him the "leftovers" and handbook I still had when I sold the bike.. The in between owner neglected her. But the current owner gave her all the love and attention as I did.. The current owner still comes around every now and then. He is a car mechanic, but sometimes get's confused how to work on a compact motorcycle.. He is welcome like any V4 enthousiast that loves these bikes.. We are getting rare nowadays..

Heads-up mate..  :thumb Time for a new chapter..  :thumb

Edit: Is that piece of plastic that makes the side stand fit into the cowling still on ??? That piece is very hard to find to make the bike complete.. (Searched for mine for about five years until i gave up)

Thanks again, Raymond. Yes, it has the side stand fairing, too. I am working really hard to move into the next chapter!

Cheers,
Glenn

Magoo

Congrats, Glenn!

Sounds like Michael should sell off his old vfr to a friend...

Magoo

I love all motorcycles.  Especially if they're a Honda.

Malm

1983 V-65 Magna 3.40
West Tennessee

slovcan

Quote from: Magoo on September 14, 2021, 11:03:58 AM
Congrats, Glenn!

Sounds like Michael should sell off his old vfr to a friend...

Magoo

Quote from: Malm on September 14, 2021, 03:20:06 PM
Nice....

Thanks guys!  :beer: