Next project...

Started by Billy C, July 20, 2017, 01:14:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Billy C

GL1500 boxer style 6 cyl.  Teardown 70% complete and kits documented.  Primo rebuild of the test rack this weekend and we'lll add kits, rebuilds to our website.
  95% an easy rack. Got some quirks of course. I got excited when it arrived. I like working on something different than the usual v4 fodder. The learning curve eats time though which is why mc shops do cheesy rebuilds. You can't put 10 or 20 hrs into a rack and stay in business.
83 V65 Magna gathering dust
Grand Saline, TX

Stretch

Hurry up and get your kit together. I have a friend wanting me to do some more work on his valk and I've been putting it off. He also said I could buy a digisync and he'd pay for half and let me keep it. Can you tell he's a salesman?

I've already changed the timing belts and some stuff to his rear wheel and drive shaft.
83 - VF1100C
84 - VF1100C "The Bast@rd Magna"
2.75 - 84 VF1100S

Miecul

Nice Billy.  :thumb :beer: :thumb
Mike
Deep River, Ontario Canada
82 Yamaha Verago
83 V45 Magna
84 V65 Magna

Billy C

Quote from: Stretch on July 20, 2017, 01:46:51 PM
Hurry up and get your kit together.
Which level you want? I can put a kit together tonight. I have everything in stock. These are mostly 3G Magna carbs.
  The synch could get interesting. I don't recall ever seeing a 6 column manometer. I bumped into a synch guide on the web, haven't read thru it yet. No reason you can't switch off tubing to 5 and 6 as you work your way thru the synch. I looked at the bench synch as I was doing teardown. It was not immediately clear how it works.  The throttle linkage bar seems flimsy considering the length. Watch it for flex when doing a bench synch, That would throw stuff off.  Early in the game to say, know more by Monday.
  When you finish up that Valk, I have a wire harness on order for the Fairlane that needs installing. I'll hand over a Primo rack of 70As when you finish up. I am certain it is an easy job.  :rolling:
Grand Saline, TX

Billy C

Quote from: Miecul on July 20, 2017, 01:58:13 PM

Thanks. I am trying to up my game. Dunno if the 1st Gens are dying out or if it is competitors or what but biz has been slow this summer. We should be 4 weeks backlog, 10 days is where we are. Dana is all over facebook, building a website, hobnobbing in general. She is very good at networking. She also cleans/polishes a mean rack of carbs. I'd name the biz Dana's Out Back but bikers don't trust a girl.
Grand Saline, TX

Miecul

Quote from: Billy C on July 20, 2017, 02:16:13 PM
Quote from: Miecul on July 20, 2017, 01:58:13 PM

Thanks. I am trying to up my game. Dunno if the 1st Gens are dying out or if it is competitors or what but biz has been slow this summer. We should be 4 weeks backlog, 10 days is where we are. Dana is all over facebook, building a website, hobnobbing in general. She is very good at networking. She also cleans/polishes a mean rack of carbs. I'd name the biz Dana's Out Back but bikers don't trust a girl.
Women have come a long way in many industries and trades. I'd never thought I see a girl lineman but before I left Hydro there was one, and nowadays there are a few more. If you look at any tedious jobs, it's mostly women who excel at them.

BTW I personally would take a set of carbs built by Dana any day of the week.  :thumb :beer: :thumb
Mike
Deep River, Ontario Canada
82 Yamaha Verago
83 V45 Magna
84 V65 Magna

masonv45

I rebuilt a set of 83 GL1100 carbs several years ago.  Never found out if the rebuild worked due to electrical problems with the bike.  Definitely a different beast.
Mason
85 VF700F "Phoenix
84 VF700F "Cerberus (de-parted 'out')

Billy C

Those are the elder 4 banger carbs. I did a set of those once. The ones I am taking on are 6 carbs. It kind of hurts my brain as it is wired to the v4 which has a transverse crank. I have to actually think about left bank/right bank vs frt/rear which is muscle memory. Small detail but does figure in during assy phase.

Kits, on hold. What looks like a 3G Magna bowl seal, ain't. I have to source those.

Found the Mike Nixon of Valks online. Picked up a few tips. Seems like he is the Valk 6 pack carb guru.  A different guy, Randack, is the Valk 4 pk guru. I plan on being that other guy.

Had a frozen pilot screw on the test rack. I pulled out every trick I got and got it out. I was sweating it. Carb body spares are nonexistant on this bike. I am thinking some parts racks will have to be invested in. Gonna test some CLR on a broken body. Lime or Calcium corrosion is a thing on these and the 3G Magnas.  I am learning from these and having fun.
Grand Saline, TX