Postal monkeys...

Started by Billy C, July 15, 2017, 12:33:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Billy C

Built a Primo rack of 70A carbs, aluminum tubes, new diaps and as pretty a polish job as you'll get and shipped it off. He got it with a corner of the box crushed and this (pics below). Heart breaking. Almost as bad as dumping your bike and putting a dent in your NOS quality tank. Easier to fix. Replacement carb installed and ships again tomorrow. I think I will slap some serious insurance on it this time. The same postal monkey is still on the job.
83 V65 Magna gathering dust
Grand Saline, TX

Randalicious

It could have been anyone anywhere in between your PO and the destination PO. More hands than your monkey could nave miss-handled it. No consolation, but that's the scoop from somebody who used to be on the inside. Sorters don't have time to carefully put each and every package into the appropriate hamper. Not making excuses, but it's a job that is more difficult than it looks. Sorry the USPS let you down. The other guys are following their lead, so maybe not much difference.
Randy Shields

Billy C

I have dropped a boxed up rack from carry height on pavement carrying too much stuff.  Stuff happens. It is rare that well packed stuff gets damaged. When it rains it pours, this past week has seen 2 damaged racks. Got one from a guy with a busted plenum and crunched slide cover inline with the break. Hoping we are done with that for the year. We have met our annual quota.
Grand Saline, TX

luv2fly

Quote from: Randalicious on July 15, 2017, 09:58:16 AM
It could have been anyone anywhere in between your PO and the destination PO. More hands than your monkey could nave miss-handled it. No consolation, but that's the scoop from somebody who used to be on the inside. Sorters don't have time to carefully put each and every package into the appropriate hamper. Not making excuses, but it's a job that is more difficult than it looks. Sorry the USPS let you down. The other guys are following their lead, so maybe not much difference.

Yup.

sabma

masonv45

Could you bolt a piece of wood to the top of the plenum and maybe cut up a support piece for the bottom of the carbs?

Both pieces of wood the same size as the box.  That way, you would have less chance of a carb being damaged by those monkeys?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOJiEgxt7RY

May not cost you too much to fab up.

Mason
85 VF700F "Phoenix
84 VF700F "Cerberus (de-parted 'out')

Billy C

Your idea has merit. The plenum on the 1G is fragile. The impact on the board would transfer to the plenum. Dunno? Your idea has merit. I'll think on it. Thanks.
One of those industrial foam injection machines would be great but probably way expensive and cleaning and materials and...
Grand Saline, TX

masonv45

Wrap the carb in plastic, put carb in box, fill box with spray foam insulation.  Cut off excess with wire saw.  Tape and ship.
Mason
85 VF700F "Phoenix

Quinn

Quote from: masonv45 on July 19, 2017, 10:14:15 AM
Wrap the carb in plastic, put carb in box, fill box with spray foam insulation.  Cut off excess with wire saw.  Tape and ship.

Interesting idea.  I remember someone telling me that the spray foam eats celophane wrap though. Probably worth it to do a couple tests and if nothing else then maybe put it in a smaller box w/in the box and foam between them?
1982 V45 Sabre VF750S, 2012 Moto Guzzi Griso 1200
NoVA

masonv45

This might give you some ideas:
QuoteHow to shadow a toolbox without tracing or cutting part 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_csElQXiFg
Mason
85 VF700F "Phoenix

Stretch

You can use me as a test shipper. Box up a nice, purdy set of 70As and when it gets here I'll take some pictures and send them back to you. There is a slight chance they could come back a little dirty and smelling of gas.  :???:
83 - VF1100C
84 - VF1100C "The Bast@rd Magna"
2.75 - 84 VF1100S

Billy C

Quote from: masonv45 on July 20, 2017, 09:47:56 AM
This might give you some ideas:
QuoteHow to shadow a toolbox without tracing or cutting part 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_csElQXiFg

Ex military guy? I spent a lot of hrs, days shadowing tool boxes in the USAF. Even did my roll around box at home which was grest for knowing what tools I lost. I finally settled on my new system. Pegboard hangers over the bench, same type tools in each drawer of the roll around, a catch all pile on the shop table between jobs and blame the kids, wife when I can't find a tool.
  Over the years I have received a few racks packed in expanding foam from guys who had a machine at their workplace.  Cans of that stuff are pricey, gotta do it in halves and cure time, i use USPS free boxes ant it is a vertical pack. I have good luck with plastic foam peanuts. People hate them but they do the job. Bigger boxes would def help. Raises costs for the box and packing. What will the market bear?
  I have unboxed racks in too small boxes with 3 sheets of wadded up newspaper for packing arrive with not a scratch. Go figure.
Grand Saline, TX