Jan. 2016 Bike of the Month

Started by FromMaine, January 30, 2016, 05:36:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FromMaine

This months winner is more than just about the bike, its about the rider also.

Because at some point, the point, is to ride these things. And this guy knows how to ride a V4. Having owned a Sabre, Magna, VF1000R, and CB1100XX, he has settled on a VFR as his ride of choice.

He is one of the best known Board members here having attended many SGT's, spur of the moment rides, and hosting a BBQ every year for the V4 faithful.

I have had the pleasure of riding with him numerous times, but when its kickstands up, visors down all I've ever seen is a glimpse of his tailight in the distance.................... If I'm lucky.

So, to kick off 2016, Congratulations Magoo (Mike) your 98 VFR is January's Bike of the Month.

This picture was taken on the Dragon a few years back when I was last able to attend. I rode it earlier in the morning in the rain also. The weather was so bad that I was the only bike on either side of the road for the entire 11 miles to the dam, and I only saw one bike on the return trip. I guess I wasn't surprised to hear Magoo showed up later in the day.

Michael: 
Midcoast, Maine 
85vf1100S,83vf750f,86vfr750,85vf1000RX2,,97VFR,
90 VFR, 77 CB550

John Hilmer

Michael & All,

I have been waiting for this for a long time. In my perspective Mike deserves this and has for quite a long while.

Congratulations Magoo, this is well over due as I see it.

Thank you Michael, for continuing the forum, it means a lot to me and others I'm sure.

John

'86 VF500F, '87 VFR700F2 In Process, '01 KLR 650

MB_ED

Bethesda Md.
1995 BMW R1100RS
1984 Magna 700
1986 VFR750F (project)

MSGT-R

I haven't posted in awhile (sort of been busy..) but wow Magoo, lookin good!  :thumb
Very well deserved indeed!!
Terri
V65 Magna, KLR250
F6B Wing,
Mojave250 ATV

OnionDumper

1977 Honda 400-4, 1983 V65 Magna and 1987 Yamaha Venture Royale.....Oswego, N.Y.

Stretch

This is about the cleanest you'll ever see this bike. Its always dirty from... usage. I agree Michael, Magoo is a true rider and gentleman.

Congratulations Mike, an honor well deserved.

Edit: Just to add, I was at the dragon the day this picture was taken and that was no little sprinkle. The only bikes that came out of the dragon during the ran was Magoo and his gang. All of the other sissies (me included) were holed up in the Deal's Gap restaurant.
83 - VF1100C
84 - VF1100C "The Bast@rd Magna"
2.75 - 84 VF1100S

zarticus

2014 Kawasaki Vaquero
2012 Kawasaki Concours 1400
1986 V65 Magna
1984 V65 Magna
1983 V45 Sabre-Sold

Quinn

1982 V45 Sabre VF750S, 2012 Moto Guzzi Griso 1200
NoVA

trou1c

Kernersville, N.C.
1986 v45
1986 vfr 750 f
Can't we all be friends

The Dutchy

Great one... The VFR800F.. Sort of last of the "Cam Gear Drive" interceptor's. Great picture, esp. in the wets..

I met Mike at SGT2010. I think he was on a Blackbird then, but not sure 'bout that. I do remember, allthough it was just a short week,  the great time we all had. To me the SGT event still brings back nice memories, and still wish to attend one again in the future..

Congrats Mike !! A well deserved spot.
Those that walk along with the great herd, regularly walks through the crap left behind by others..

Magoo

Thank you, Michael.

It is truly an honor. 

I know many a member who have long since moved on from their old V4's and it reminds me of something Michael wrote.  It's about the rider.  Or, in other words, it's about people.  The bikes don't matter a bit compared to the people.  The friendships.  Relationships.  Making memories.  Adventure. 

I am truly unmechanical.  I have very little to offer this collective other than a good riding buddy, friend, a beer or two, a good laugh and maybe a little bad advice.  I've taken more from the board than I know how to give back and understand what a priviledge it is to be part of this thing.

So thank you, Michael, for this recognition that I'm doing something right.  And for the kind (and exaggerated) words about my riding prowess.   
And thank the rest of you for your kindness to me.  Your advice and especially...your friendship.

Magoo   
I love all motorcycles.  Especially if they're a Honda.

OregonMike

86 VT1100C, gone.
84 V65 Magna, new toy.
Eugene, Oregon.

Blue-Grass-Tornado

Well deserved, congrats Mike!   :beer:
My 15 VMAX

Billy W., '82 Magna

Congratulations on your selection, and well said with respect to the character of the members who make up this forum (board). I haven't yet met any members in person, but have always felt welcome, despite a near total lack of mechanical knowledge and experience. Each and every time that I've been stumped after attempting to address whatever the issue was by searching the site's extensive cumulative database, I have been able to readily resolve the issue by either posting it, or by texting one of the sites' many v4 gurus. This site may not have the breadth of the other main v4 forum, but it's depth is magnatudes :-) greater!! Congrats again bro!!!
L. William (Billy) Woodward
Buffalo, NY,
1982 v45 Magna; 1983 v65 Magna

kdf9511

Nice, now his head will be even bigger..... ;)

Good choice though Michael.  Magoo does deserve it.
Ye Olde MagnaWing,
The LaZBoy
From whence came you, and whither are you travelling?

daffyv6tfv

83 v65 magna -85 v65 magna- 83 mag parter/rnr     gurnee,il

TarHeelV4Rider

Quote from: Stretch on January 30, 2016, 11:08:42 PM
This is about the cleanest you'll ever see this bike. Its always dirty from... usage. I agree Michael, Magoo is a true rider and gentleman.
That's how Magoo washes his bike.

Magoo is an arsho........er, great guy. At this very SGT he won the 1st across the bridge contest by one heckuva comeback.  He got the jump on the rest of us by passing a septic tank truck on 215. I figured it was over and he would be half through a beer and smoke by the time we could make it back to camp. To my surprise, I see him a few miles down getting gas at the last store before camp! Dang! I got the lead! With a toot of my horn and a big grin, all I had to do was block Clay and I would finally be 1st across the bridge. I wicked it up to the speed limit and put some distance and a couple cars between me and the rest of the guys and I was home free. About 2 miles from camp, out of nowhere a red flash goes by me on the right and it's Magoo!! He somehow passed 5 bikes and 2 cars to snatch my well deserved victory out from under me!

This year I might have to cheat!

Oh yeah, Congrats on BOTM.
V4's are fun!

Magoo

One of my proudest memories, Hunter.

Just ask my local buddies.  They're sick and tired of hearing the story.   :rolling:

My gas light had been blinking for 10 miles and there was no way I was making it to camp without a quick pitstop. 

Or, what I meant to say was I didn't know we were racing.  I was just cruising back to camp with Busch beer on my mind.

Magoo
I love all motorcycles.  Especially if they're a Honda.

Miecul

Congratulations Magoo on this prestigious award. I think keeping Hunter in your rear view might prove to be problematic this years F.A.B.. Attending a SGT is on my bucket list. I hope to fill that order in the next few years, as there's not much in the bucket anymore. Give Heidi my best and keep your front wheel grounded.  :thumb :beer: :thumb
Mike
Deep River, Ontario Canada
82 Yamaha Verago
83 V45 Magna
84 V65 Magna

NAVMAV

NAVMAV