Dec. 2015 Bike of the Month

Started by FromMaine, December 10, 2015, 04:45:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FromMaine

I met this months winner when I bought a big Sabre from him 8-9 years ago.

I remember seeing his bike and thinking it was a pretty good looking Magna.

A few years back when BOTM started up again I mentally put his bike on the list. The only problem was by that time any pictures he had posted over the years were no longer being hosted.

So not quite a year ago I contacted him and asked if he could re up his pics. Well he sent me a link to his pics on Instagram. I didn't even know what that was at the time. Since I had not told him why I had asked for the pics to be re posted I didn't say anything.

So..............I'm not the most "adept" person when it comes to technology. Lets just say its taken me a while to figure out how to get a pic from there to here, if you get my drift :)

Congratulations Shinydaddy (Ed), your 1984 V65 Magna is Decembers bike of the month.

Ed told me when I met him that job and family did not leave him lots of spare time to ride, so quite often he only got to ride early on Sunday mornings. The pic is a sunrise on one of the mornings from what I gather.

BTW, the Sabre I bought from Ed was a non runner given to him, after I sorted the electrical side out, had Billy C work his magic on the carbs  and installed all the parts in boxes back on the bike, it turned out to be the best bike I have ever owned. Its the Sabre that I went cross country with my daughter on and remains the only bike she will ride with me.

Michael: 
Midcoast, Maine 
85vf1100S,83vf750f,86vfr750,85vf1000RX2,,97VFR,
90 VFR, 77 CB550

Billy C

QuoteIts the Sabre that I went cross country with my daughter on and remains the only bike she will ride with me.

Girls don't like pillion position on a crotch rocket. I never sat the back of one but it looks not comfortable. That trip made that bike worth having and will always come up in conversation over the years between the two of you.  :thumb  I imagine it will go something like this. Dad, remember that fun trip we took on that Sabre? Why didn't you have a Magna? All my friend's Dads owned Magnas. Don't fret, nothing a few thou worth of intensive psychotherapy won't fix.  ;)
83 V65 Magna gathering dust
Grand Saline, TX

John Hilmer

"BTW, the Sabre I bought from Ed was a non runner given to him, after I sorted the electrical side out, had Billy C work his magic on the carbs  and installed all the parts in boxes back on the bike, it turned out to be the best bike I have ever owned. Its the Sabre that I went cross country with my daughter on and remains the only bike she will ride with me."

I would like to add, that when Michael landed here at my home to service the final drive that was having problems, it was this forum, that through the net provided the intelligence to guide Michael and I through getting it road worthy again. Thank you so much for the support back then. You know who you are, right?

John
'86 VF500F, '87 VFR700F2 In Process, '01 KLR 650

Shinydaddy

Thanks, I'm honored! The first thing I did after I got my bike was join this message board, and I can't say enough how helpful the group and the information here has been in helping me maintain the bike. I appreciate being nominated for this.
I've had the bike for about 10 years now. It had about 16K on it when I got it and it's almost ready to hit 40K now.
As Mike said, I tend to ride mostly at night / early morning since that's when I get free time. I've done a fair amount of work to her:
DD oil mod, Joe Barfield titanium fork brace, corbin seat, progressive front and rear suspension, there's not much left I want to change except for maybe SS lines.

Here are some more pictures.

Shinydaddy

At Point Judith, Narragansett RI

Shinydaddy

Westerly RI. I went out of my way to take the picture in reference to the Phish song "Weekapaug Groove".

Shinydaddy

This summer after my ignition shit out on me at 3AM in the Dennys parking lot. Now I have an after market ignition switch.

Shinydaddy

And finally, some humor related to the bike that I love....

OregonMike

86 VT1100C, gone.
84 V65 Magna, new toy.
Eugene, Oregon.

NAVMAV

NAVMAV