February 2015 Bike of the Month

Started by FromMaine, February 27, 2015, 03:15:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FromMaine

A few weeks ago I managed to sneak away from where I was working in Falmouth England to attend the MCN London Motorcycle show. While walking around I spied the stand for Practical Sportsbikes magazine, my favorite motorcycle read. As approached the stand I saw the bike they had out front was a 400cc V4 which looked a bit different than any I had seen before.

Well after talking at length with a PS staffer named Jim, who I found out later was the editor of the magazine, I discovered that this was a Vf400F with a NC30 engine and swingarm among other things. The list of mods and work done are to long to cover here and honestly I was not taking notes so if you are really interested grab a copy of Nov 2014 Practical Sportsbikes for an overview. This is still a work in progress so there will be updates, like the one in March's issue.

I thanked Jim for his time as I knew I was monopolizing it when I glanced at my watch, then I went to explore the rest of the show. A few hours later though I returned as I wanted some more pics of specifics. PS staffer Gary who is their Technical consultant was kind enough to fill in some more of the details and take a pic of me on the bike :) I have to say as impressed as I was with what these guys had accomplished with the bike, I was equally impressed with how generous they were with their time and information with some guy who just walked over and started asking a bunch of questions. It was self evident that everyone associated with the magazine was an enthusiast first and foremost, the job part was a distant second. I guess that's why they put out such a great magazine.

Sadly, Chris, the Features editor and owner of the bike was not there that day so I did not get to meet and chat with him. Thankfully though either Jim or Gary passed on my V4Hondabbs card to him and he is a member here now.

So congratulations Chris, your tricked out Honda Vf400F is V4Hondabbs February Bike of the Month.

All BOTM are supposed to be posted in the Photo Gallery, so I took the liberty :)

http://v4hondabbs.com/index.php?topic=67955.0

There is a small trophy that goes with this. I will bring it with me when I return in a few weeks to the UK and post it from there.
Michael: 
Midcoast, Maine 
85vf1100S,83vf750f,86vfr750,85vf1000RX2,,97VFR,
90 VFR, 77 CB550

John Hilmer

Michael,

Wow!

This was worth the wait.

John
'86 VF500F, '87 VFR700F2 In Process, '01 KLR 650

FromMaine

Hi John:

Yesh, sorry for the wait. The Board crash then my issues with my computer and x#&!#! Windows 8 slowed things down this month.

And I am not surprised you were the first to comment on this selection  :thumb
Michael: 
Midcoast, Maine 
90 VFR, 77 CB550

John Hilmer

Michael & All,

If I were 5'6" and 135 Lbs I would never have sold my Rothmans to Chris, Magna86. At 6'2" and 185 it was just too small and was a physical pain generator. I haven't heard from Chris since he was stationed in Virginia or seen him post. ???

I will say that the handling of the 400 is the only bike I consider better than the VF 500 F in a sport bike configuration, for where I ride in out twisties.

The current super motos are a different breed and can't be compared for the roads we road on when you were here last. As I recall it I was on the '88 VTR 250 and you followed on the big Sabre so you'll certainly appreciate what I'm saying.

When will you be back out here?

I would like to give you a shot at riding the super motos through those roads, and the VF 500 F for that matter. You could probably teach me a few things if we did this.

John

FromMaine

Quote from: John Hilmer on February 27, 2015, 05:38:11 PM

The current super motos are a different breed and can't be compared for the roads we road on when you were here last. As I recall it I was on the '88 VTR 250 and you followed on the big Sabre so you'll certainly appreciate what I'm saying.

When will you be back out here?

:lol8: This is Hilmerspeak for Me and my VTR dusted your porky V65 Sabre and ate your lunch on the twisty redwood lined roads that surround my house.

As far as getting back out that way I'm working on it. I am committed to be on the ship until we get to Greenland sometime this summer. If time allows I have some unfinished motorcycle business to attend to. I never made it past Prince George in British Colombia when I tried to get to Alaska many years ago. I was looking at 6" of snow the last day of Sept. before it dawned on me it was not a very good plan to ride north that time of year. I'll be in touch if it is a go.

BTW, have been in touch with Chris as I bought a rear rotor from him for the R. He made it to VA in time to ship out for awhile but think he is now back on dirt. 
Michael: 
Midcoast, Maine 
90 VFR, 77 CB550

TarHeelV4Rider

Nice little bike!!  tenof10

An NC30 is on my wish list!
V4's are fun!

VF1000RS

I watched that build through the issues of Practical Sportsbikes magazine. Very cool machine. I wouldn't mind finding a 400f here to modify but prolly never happen as we got the 500 but not the 400.
I am still trying to get Chris to post a video with sound so we can hear this little V4 in action!
Tom
1986 VF1000R
1984 VF1000F
1983 VF400F
1984 VF1100S

Colorado Springs, CO

BILL PERDUE

Great looking bike and welcome to the list.
Bill Perdue
Charleston SC
1983 V-65 Magna 
1985 V-65 Sabre
2003 HD Electra Glide Ultra Classic

John Hilmer

Tom,

If you haven't seen it and can find it there is an article in the April 2012 Cycle World about Mike Normans build of they call the NC450V on page 64.

Mike Norman is the guy behind/is "G-Force" and this is well worth reading.

From what I currently understand his recent plan to do something similar with a VTR 250 has been put on hold because he has been hired by Honda.

John

Quote from: VF1000RS on March 05, 2015, 11:14:48 AM
I watched that build through the issues of Practical Sportsbikes magazine. Very cool machine. I wouldn't mind finding a 400f here to modify but prolly never happen as we got the 500 but not the 400.
I am still trying to get Chris to post a video with sound so we can hear this little V4 in action!

VF1000RS

I'll see if I can find it. I stopped buying US motorcycle magazines in the early 90's.
Tom
1986 VF1000R
1984 VF1000F
1983 VF400F
1984 VF1100S

Colorado Springs, CO

Chris_PSM

Hi all,

A very belated thanks for your praise for my little hybrid, and the honour of being bike of the month. I just received my trophy from Michael - an unexpected arrival in the mail! The bike still has a few little jobs to complete, which have taken a back seat as I sorted my blown GPZ750R, but that's now ready and waiting for a new owner so hopefully I can get it finished up again, as well as give my RGV some attention.

I've finally figured out my posting issues - UK keyboards bring up a £ instead # when you hit shift+3, so no wonder I wasn't able to clear the security questions. So now I'll be able to make a little more use of the board.

Thanks again,

Chris

John Hilmer

Chris,

Welcome aboard.

I'm sure at least some of us would appreciate it if you opened a thread in the restoration forum and let us see what all it is you are doing to it. If that is too much time/trouble perhaps a link to where you have documented the process.

Congratulations on what you have accomplished and the recognition here.

John

Chris_PSM

Quote from: John Hilmer on April 09, 2015, 05:21:35 PM
Chris,

Welcome aboard.

I'm sure at least some of us would appreciate it if you opened a thread in the restoration forum and let us see what all it is you are doing to it. If that is too much time/trouble perhaps a link to where you have documented the process.

Congratulations on what you have accomplished and the recognition here.

John

Thanks John. There's no online documentation - in fact, this is the first forum it's been on as far as I'm aware. It was documented in the magazine, so I didn't post anywhere to keep people buying the mag!  ;)

It's all done and dusted as a major project build now, so I'm sure I can stand to update on the bike on here.

Cheers
Chris

V45man1988

Honda VF45 Super Magna 1988
Honda X4 1300 1997

vf400

Very cool. A nice crisp, professional looking job Chris. I have long looked at pictures of such bikes in the DOBAR series and wanted to transform my VF400.

Did the frame have to be modified to take the swing arm? I presume you used a NC30 arm; do you know if any others would fit as NC30's are rarer than hen's teeth in Canada. Certainly non at the local breakers.

Paul

NAVMAV

Everything on this bike looks perfect. What GREAT lines,....and the color is spot on. BEAUTIFUL. Congrats.
NAVMAV