the other V4 carbs

Started by Billy C, August 04, 2014, 11:55:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Billy C

I had a friend call and talk me into taking a look at his '98 Yammie Royal Star carbs. XVC-1300 with a 1340cc V4 engine. Neat carbs. More compact and all point straight down into 4 carb boots that do the 90 deg turn to the cylinders. Him and his mechanic sat at the table while I did a quickie clean. 2 carbs had water thru the throats. Dirt fell out of them when I flipped the bowl covers off. I looked at them and said this is where I usually put them back in the box and ship them back to the owner as too far gone to save. Same old story. Bike quit running. He took the airbox off and realized he was in over his head. A year or two go by and it ends up stored uncovered in the yard for the rain, bugs and blown dirt to work some magic on the carbs. I think I got them back up to snuff minus 2 corroded pilots that I had to let slide (no spare Mikuni parts available). Awaiting the ride report. Kind of fun to work on.

No pics so I guess it never happened.  ;)  I have ridden the same bike before. Only Yamaha could squeeze so little power out of a 1340 cc V4 engine. I honestly think a 3rd Gen Maggie would have little trouble outrunning it.
83 V65 Magna gathering dust
Grand Saline, TX

rxpx40

Did those Mikuni's have the flat slides? I wonder if you couldn't jam some Keihin's on that bike and see if you could squeeze some more oomph out of that engine. Might have to do some head work and etc.
They were nice looking bikes. Could be snapped up for a song too. Not many people recognized them for what they were.
'82 CX500T, '85 VF1100C, 1 project VF750S, '03 K1200RS

Billy C

We sold a like new one with added farkles for a friend. Took a month and I was sad for him at how little cash it pulled in.
CV carbs just like ours. I have little doubt that engine is capable of much more than it puts out. How to go about getting it...  :???:
I did get a report back. Bike is running good now. The guy is taking it on the road to NC in a few days. Hope he makes it. My buddies are pure redneck slap it together make it work type guys. I may be seeing it again. I am actually somewhat interested in those carbs. Might take a swing at doing a few of them in the off season. 3 weeks behind right now.
83 V65 Magna gathering dust
Grand Saline, TX