Started by FromMaine, February 02, 2014, 08:21:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TarHeelV4Rider

Thanks for the updates! I really want to see the Pearl White one!! :wub:
V4's are fun!

Teradyne

So here's some pics of the bike. Before, During, and After
Had to resize them so I hope they turned out OK

Anyway, Here's what she looked like when I started. Got it for $300 bucks and named her "Olga"

Teradyne

Here's some shots of the beginning mock up stage.
First started using copper pipe for the fairing frame using zip ties to hold the plastic in place
The copper and Zip ties were great for moving around the plastic and making fitting adjustments

Teradyne

More Pics of the initial mock up

Teradyne

More Pics of the initial Mock up

Teradyne

From there I went into the fiberglass
First shot  - Filling in the notch in the side panels and flowing them into the tank
Second shot - Working out the fairing to dash

Teradyne

Another shot of rough fairing to dash fiberglass work

Teradyne

Well I found the copper pipe wasn't going to do it for the fairing stays so I took the measurements and made something more permanent
In the first shot I repainted the bike and was driving it naked for a while
Second shot is starting the final stays. I wanted this to be reversible in case I wanted to go back to original so I didn't want to weld directly to the frame. Instead I made some short tabs from some steel flatbar. Drilled a hole in them and bolted them up to the original mounting point. Once they were attached I welded steel round stock to the tabs and started bending

Teradyne

More work on the final stays
Took some trial and error with the welder but we're getting there
Second shot shows the flatbar with holes I used to work as a mounting point for the headlights. Worked out well and gave me something to bolt to

Teradyne

More welding work
This is where it all comes together. Had to do some final tweaking to the frame work to get the alignments right...

Teradyne

Here's how it turned out after the final welding and iron work
Got the lights in and got it together

Teradyne

Shot before final paint
The fairings I got were used and needed some work. I had a broken hole in one that needed to be filled and had to do some work around the signal light area to get the aftermarket light to fit. Previous owner also painted the cans and engine aluminum silver

On a side note: all the hardware fairing bolts used to fasten the fairing was bought at Home Depot. They are all Flush mount allen flat heads. They're a standard stock item and they worked out well. It's surprising where you can find stuff when you start looking around

Teradyne

Here are some pics of the final product after paint
Painted it myself in the garage and it didn't turn out to bad..

You know it's funny, I didn't put on any markings or decals. I get some people thinking it might be a Ducati but I actually had a couple of people ask me if it was a Harley!
I had to go with it... and told them it was...

Teradyne

The last one is one of my favorites and I use it as my desktop wallpaper
It gives me inspiration in the dead of winter...

I call it "The Bike and the Road"

Teradyne

Well that's about it for the post
Hope you enjoyed the buildup pics and thanks again for all the info I found here to build and maintain it.
Thanks again for putting it up as Bike of the Month

Cheers

TarHeelV4Rider

V4's are fun!

Teradyne

Also had a request to see pics of my White VFR
Posted them up and put them in the Gallery here:
http://v4hondabbs.com/index.php?topic=66337.0

John Hilmer

Well,

Responding and back to being a real member is certainly appreciated by me if nobody else cares.

You have done really good work and I like what you have done though opinions such as mine are just that.

John
'86 VF500F, '87 VFR700F2 In Process, '01 KLR 650

klopperg

Very nice work on that frame, are you planning to repaint the engine, or was that done already?
VF750f Interceptor - 83
BMW R1200RTW - 17
BMW GS650 Dakar

Gerrie
South Africa

Teradyne

I'm not sure why but the previous owner painted the engine and exhaust an aluminum silver. I left the heads because they really didn't look that bad and because you don't see them much with the fairings on but did redo the side covers with flat black VHT Paint. Prepped them properly when I painted them and baked them in the oven. They turned out really well. I gotta say, being single is GREAT! Don't have to worry about wifey getting all upset and cutting you off...

The Dutchy

Everything seems so easy according to your pics, but I also see the time that went in to it.

I love the mock-up part, where/with the copper tubing you determined the spots for fixing the cowl..

Great stuff.

:thumb
Those that walk along with the great herd, regularly walks through the crap left behind by others..