Dec. 2013 Bike of the Month

Started by FromMaine, December 03, 2013, 05:42:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FromMaine

Once again I am on the road at the beginning of the month and once again I am late with BOTM. I seem to finally have a stable internet connection so here goes. Greetings from Milan, Italy BTW.

This months winner has been a definite since the beginning, or shall I say new beginning of BOTM. He was on the list, but like a few of the winners here, I had a reason for picking when they got the nod. Mike up in Ontario, Canada, cold as you know what with snow up to the eaves was a no brainer for Jan. Kelly in NH, who's bike I JUST had to see in person was ditto for July when I knew I could ride down to have a look. So why did I make this months winner wait? Well I chose to wait until he came to his senses and bought a VF1000f Interceptor.

Just Kidding, though he did in fact buy the Interceptor. The reason was I knew he was a solid member of his church and a devout Father, so I felt it would best be presented in Dec., the holiday season. A time to reflect, a time to be with family, a time for things to be under the tree :)  Of course shortly after I made this decision last Jan. his name was mentioned as a candidate to me by a few members when I talked with them or exchanged messages , including one really grumpy PM from a member whom I don't recall ever posting on the Board. No matter, a big part of my real job is making decisions and moving forward, which I did.  So all of you who mentioned this months winner to me a while ago, you were right, but your timing was a bit off  ^-^.

This months winner has not only attended every SGT since its founding, he started it.  Getting literally dozens if V4 riders to congregate in a small campground in the mountains of North Carolina is no small feat. Getting them to do it year after year speaks volumes. He is also the owner of the Vf1100/1000 Hat Trick. Big Magna, Sabre, Interceptor, and since he's one of us it means he works on his own bikes. He is a knowledgeable and frequent contributor to this Board. So, without further delay, since my jetlag has really kicked in.

Congratulations Bill, (Stretch) your V65 Sabre is Dec. 2013's Bike of the Month.

http://v4hondabbs.com/index.php?topic=59971.90

Michael: 
Midcoast, Maine 
85vf1100S,83vf750f,86vfr750,85vf1000RX2,,97VFR,
90 VFR, 77 CB550

FromMaine

So Bill;

I see the Sabre is on (at least the rear tire and kickstand) a short piece if what looks to be misplaced sidewalk. Did you you dig it up and place it for your photo shoot? Was it left over from some short lived Municipal Boondoggle? If so, how did you spot it going XX+ mph down the road?

Enquiring minds want to know.  ;D
Michael: 
Midcoast, Maine 
85vf1100S,83vf750f,86vfr750,85vf1000RX2,,97VFR,
90 VFR, 77 CB550

John Hilmer

Hooray!

Bill, congratulations even if Michael made you wait for this because of his reasoning and I for one certainly agree with his reasoning and selection.

Of course I've never seen your beautiful Sabre, but I've typed to several that have and know it to be a fine machine.

This is well deserved as far as I'm concerned.

Now, please take a ride out West and drop by so I can see it first hand!

John
'86 VF500F, '87 VFR700F2 In Process, '01 KLR 650

Stretch

Well how 'bout that!

Thank you Michael and those that mentioned my Sabre. I wouldn't have guessed that it would receive this honor because it has been a daily rider since I bought it. She has made the trip to NC in the spring 5 times now and I'm thinking about an iron butt run this summer on her. This bike really is a pleasure to ride.

Thank you again.

P.S. to the grumpy old member, you're just jealous.  ;D

Thanks everyone!

Edit: The original link to the picture is dead so I attached the picture below.
83 - VF1100C
84 - VF1100C "The Bast@rd Magna"
2.75 - 84 VF1100S

Stretch

Quote from: FromMaine on December 03, 2013, 05:57:56 PM
So Bill;

I see the Sabre is on (at least the rear tire and kickstand) a short piece if what looks to be misplaced sidewalk. Did you you dig it up and place it for your photo shoot? Was it left over from some short lived Municipal Boondoggle? If so, how did you spot it going XX+ mph down the road?

Enquiring minds want to know.  ;D
This was an unusually warm January day and I couldn't pass up the chance to go for a ride. The bridge is one lane with 90* entry and exit turns so the speed was in the low XX's. I've crossed this bridge a couple dozen times and something told me that I should stop and get a picture. I guess that worked out pretty well.

The concrete is whats left of a sidewalk to a building that was there some years ago. There were actually a couple guys sitting there in their truck watching and complemented me on the Sabre. Us Sabreriders don't get that very often.
83 - VF1100C
2.75 - 84 VF1100S

chazglenn3

Charles
2008 FJR1300A
1984 V65 Magna
1983 V65 Magna
1993 ST1100A
Tacoma, WA

TarHeelV4Rider

V4's are fun!

zarticus

Great pic this month Mike, Congrats Bill !!!!!!!!!!!! Always admired your bike, Its nice even thou its a Sabre  ;D  :beer:
2014 Kawasaki Vaquero
2012 Kawasaki Concours 1400
1986 V65 Magna
1984 V65 Magna
1983 V45 Sabre-Sold

v65infla

Nicest Sabre I have ever seen.   tenof10
Jamie
Fort Pierce, Fl.
2022 Honda Goldwing DCT Tour

subsidiarymaxima

Congrats, Bill!  :beer:  A great bike to wrap up the 2013 edition of BOTM! 
James
Forest Grove, OR
Gone: '87 600 Hurricane, '75 CB400F, '83 VF750F, '86 VFR750F

JoeB

Congratulations Bill,
  A long overdue award for not just having a great example of the mighty Honda V4 but for all
that you have done and continue to do for the V4 community.   I am proud and humbled to call you
my friend.  You welcomed me into your group a few years back and despite my transgressions challenging
the force of gravity (and loosing the battle) you kept it civil and always was first class.  It was nice to see the
front end of your bike for a change.  

Congrats again and enjoy your time to be recognized.

JoeB

2002 Shadow Sabre 1100

Rest in Peace, Joe.

klopperg

Way to go Bill tenof10 tenof10 tenof10
VF750f Interceptor - 83
BMW R1200RTW - 17
BMW GS650 Dakar

Gerrie
South Africa

The Dutchy

Way to go Bill  :thumb

It is a bit dissapointing to see the Sabre in there, I think the picture would have been better with the VF1000F in there..  ;D

Edit: ....There's something missing...  :???:
Those that walk along with the great herd, regularly walks through the crap left behind by others..

leebee

Congratulations Bill!

Well deserved!

Lee B
'83 V65 Magna - maroon
'83 V65 Magna - candy glory red
2003 BMW K1200GT

Stretch

Quote from: The Dutchy on December 04, 2013, 07:29:21 AM

It is a bit dissapointing to see the Sabre in there, I think the picture would have been better with the VF1000F in there..  ;D

Edit: ....There's something missing...  :???:
This was taken right after the one time she's ever quit on the road. Thanks to a fuse, a roll of electrical tape and some small european hands and she was back on the road. It does look a little naked doesn't it.... and small (hence the name Stretch)  ;D

Maybe this year there will be a different bike... :???:

Joe, what happens in NC.... 
83 - VF1100C
2.75 - 84 VF1100S

OregonMike

Congrats :beer:   Looks great  :thumb
86 VT1100C, gone.
84 V65 Magna, new toy.
Eugene, Oregon.

Hopit88

I like when BOTM goes to people as well as their bikes. Nice.
Kelly
NH
'85 Vf1000R x3
'86 VF1000R
'84 Vf1000F x2

TarHeelV4Rider

Hmmm a side cover is missing! :mellow:
V4's are fun!

Miecul

A very big Congratulations Bill. As Michael mentioned you are a very big part of this Board and her members. I've not only enjoyed the pictures you've shared but also your wisdom.  I don't think  there's another member would disagree with me except for maybe Fred. I hear that Fred isn't being Fred no more, so that won't count. Fred maybe a little jealous. he use to have a Sabre many moons ago but not nearly as Purdy as yours Bill. Fred if you're out there, Merry Christmas. :rolleyes:
Mike
Deep River, Ontario Canada
82 Yamaha Verago
83 V45 Magna
84 V65 Magna

Turboblackbird

Alright Bill! Yup very nice Sabre indeed.

Stretch

83 - VF1100C
2.75 - 84 VF1100S

John Hilmer

Stretch & All,

I swear that looks to me like the VF 500 S prototype that never was produced.  ;D

That is some testament you your maintenance efforts, the only time it failed on the road in how many miles?

Um, small hands compared to what, yours?  :lol8: I can only imagine...

John

Quote from: Stretch on December 04, 2013, 09:12:13 AM
Quote from: The Dutchy on December 04, 2013, 07:29:21 AM

It is a bit disappointing to see the Sabre in there, I think the picture would have been better with the VF1000F in there..  ;D

Edit: ....There's something missing...  :???:
This was taken right after the one time she's ever quit on the road. Thanks to a fuse, a roll of electrical tape and some small european hands and she was back on the road. It does look a little naked doesn't it.... and small (hence the name Stretch)  ;D

Maybe this year there will be a different bike... :???:

Joe, what happens in NC.... 

Stretch

Quote from: John Hilmer on December 05, 2013, 06:10:12 PM
Stretch & All,

I swear that looks to me like the VF 500 S prototype that never was produced.  ;D

That is some testament you your maintenance efforts, the only time it failed on the road in how many miles?

Um, small hands compared to what, yours?  :lol8: I can only imagine...

You think the V65 looks small, On the flip side, you should see the old picture of fromMaine on his Sabre. ;D Maintenance is one of those things that if you take care of it, it will last a long time. I've put about 25k on this bike, at the same time I've put about 20k on the magna. Like I said earlier, my bikes are not trailer queens.

My hands are not that big and Raymond is no small guy but hand size is relative. He could have made a killing on the maintenance he did on people's bikes while he was over here. He is truly a very special guy and a great resource for this board. I was honored to meet him.
83 - VF1100C
2.75 - 84 VF1100S

The Dutchy

Wow. Thanks for the compliments. I didn't make a killer fortune when I was over there, it was prepayed I figured. But one thing: It felt very good to be there and to do something back in return...

My Buddy on the racingteam always quote's my hands as "Coal Shovels" so I guess that says something about my hands..  ;D
Those that walk along with the great herd, regularly walks through the crap left behind by others..

John Hilmer

Bill, Dutchy and All,

I remember when you first posted the image of you on the VF 500 C and thinking that there was something wrong photographically.

I looked about the forum and was able to determine that the photo was not altered! You are a large man and that is all there is to that.

This has me a bit curious; OK a bit more than just mildly curious, HOW tall are you?

Sorry for prying Bill but I am wondering about your height.

If, as we have discussed off line, and you do make it out to the West coast and we can meet, I'll be a very happy guy for many reasons.

Again, congratulations on the recognition that has been well earned.

John

Stretch

83 - VF1100C
2.75 - 84 VF1100S

kdf9511

What's the world comming to....At least the BOTM pic has the trunk and slider on it.... :lol8:

Congrats Bill, you know that is one of the few Sabres I would be seen on. ;)
Ye Olde MagnaWing,
The LaZBoy
From whence came you, and whither are you travelling?

Stretch

Quote from: kdf9511 on December 06, 2013, 11:23:46 PM
What's the world comming to....At least the BOTM pic has the trunk and slider on it.... :lol8:

Kerry, you want the trunk?  I'll give it to you if we leave the camp at the same time, on our own bikes, run to Brevard and back. You get back first and its yours.

If I'm at the camp first YOU'LL by me dinner all week at the SGT.
83 - VF1100C
2.75 - 84 VF1100S

TarHeelV4Rider

V4's are fun!

Magoo

Now why do you have to go picking on Kerry, Bill?  You know he doesn't want to race nobody, especially your giant ass.

Congrats on BOTM, though.  And you are truly one of the best we have around here.

Magoo
I love all motorcycles.  Especially if they're a Honda.