possible new carb kit upgrade

Started by Billy C, August 20, 2013, 06:55:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Billy C

I've heard a few gripes about seals shrinking when stored dry for several months. Then they leak for a few minutes til the fuel swells them back to size. Nitrile is supposed to be compatible with ethanol but I'm thinking it is time to go to a better materiel (Viton). Viton is more compatible-er than nitrile.
  So, I am in process of sourcing all the seals from my supplier right now. We'll see how availability and price work out. They will cost more of course. More on this as info comes in.
83 V65 Magna gathering dust
Grand Saline, TX

NormanB

Sounds good to me.  I had the same problem being the fresh carbs were stored for many months before install. 

I think going this route is a good thing.
84 V65 Magna - Black

magnashopper

Sounds like a great idea. I use viton to make fuel pump diaphragms for GL bikes. I would definitely buy a kit for each of my magnas. What about the float needle tip?
Pittsburgh, Pa.
'84 V65 with 3.40's and 2 line oil mod
'84 V30 Harley Killer

Billy C

Quote from: magnashopper on August 30, 2013, 08:08:11 AM
What about the float needle tip?

(insert sigh emoticon here) I dunno. I'll try and research them. I am 99% sure there is nada I can do about those. The manufacturer has a minimum order of $30,000 last time I checked and that did not address custom manufacturing of which I have no idea if they would do it.

I have made some progress in that I have 2 potential sources. John H is helping me wade thru the technical issues and I will soon make a decision or maybe come up with a 3rd source to clear up some of the glitches. I'm juggling material/time/price in that order. Bet y'all didn't know Viton came in a dozen flavors?
Grand Saline, TX

rrwarrenvanman

Ron Warren
Woodhaven, Mi.
ronrwarren@gmail.com
83 V65 Magna blue
83 V65 Magna black

Billy C

Quote from: rrwarrenvanman on August 30, 2013, 04:59:16 PM
Does Viton shrink?

(insert sigh emoticon x 2 here) I dunno. Everything shrinks eventually. Even my manhood is down to 8" now. Took 45 yrs to lose 2" but there ya go.

I've been wading thru reams of tech data online. Viton is about as good as it gets. There are some really high end seal compounds out there but they would be custom made and the qty requirements vs price vs real world benefits say no.
Grand Saline, TX

MB_ED

Quote from: Billy C on August 30, 2013, 05:59:14 PM
Quote from: rrwarrenvanman on August 30, 2013, 04:59:16 PM
Does Viton shrink?

(insert sigh emoticon x 2 here) I dunno. Everything shrinks eventually. Even my manhood is down to 8" now. Took 45 yrs to lose 2" but there ya go.

I see Billy is spreading  :bull: again, glad I still have my boots on  :lol8:
Bethesda Md.
1995 BMW R1100RS
1984 Magna 700
1986 VFR750F (project)

kdf9511

Do these new seals come in colors?
Ye Olde MagnaWing,
The LaZBoy
From whence came you, and whither are you travelling?

Billy C

Quote from: kdf9511 on August 31, 2013, 02:53:07 AM
Do these new seals come in colors?

Actually yes. I'm shooting for anything but black just for ease if separating them from my existing stocks of nitirile. Asides from that color don't matter as they don't show when installed. Sadly, I don't think pink is an option. Sorry, I know y'all are as disappointed as I am.  ;D
Grand Saline, TX

Billy C

Viton seals are on order. They claim a 10 day delivery.

Kerry, bad news. No pink seals.  :'(  I'm hurting for you.
Grand Saline, TX

kdf9511

Quote from: Billy C on September 11, 2013, 09:51:47 PM
Kerry, bad news. No pink seals.  :'(  I'm hurting for you.

I'm so disapointed.
Ye Olde MagnaWing,
The LaZBoy

Billy C

I can probably get some Easter Egg dye and hook you up.
Grand Saline, TX

kdf9511

Ye Olde MagnaWing,
The LaZBoy

craigsfiero2007

Viton is awesome stuff. How much are your prices going to increase using the Viton Seals? I will be sending you my carbs to get rebuilt/jetted here soon.
99 Pearl White Magna
Stationed at: Fort Eustis, VA
Home of Record: Oxford, ME
Active Duty US Army

Billy C

Not sure yet. I haven't got it calculated out yet. I don't foresee a big bump in price. Probably a few bucks.
Seals will be brown if they get the order right. I hope so as it makes it easy to keep them separated from the nitrile seals I have.
This will be a phased in project. The 1st and 2nd Gen bikes will be Viton for all fuel exposed seals. 3rd Gen and up will remain nitrile for now til i am certain this new stuff works out and then I will start ordering them in.

I'll likely look at getting custom made preformed Viton bowl gaskets too. I dunno if they can beat/match the price I get on them now. Be cool to get them in brown also.
Grand Saline, TX

Billy C

OK, so much for the promised 10 day delivery. But, they are on it. Got pics and a promised ship date of the 22nd. Yeah, I know, they're just seals but I'm almost as excited as getting a new gun or cool tool. Almost.  ;)

Grand Saline, TX

chazglenn3

And right after I had my carbs done, too!   ;D
Charles
2008 FJR1300A
1984 V65 Magna
1983 V65 Magna
1993 ST1100A
Tacoma, WA

Billy C

...and they are here! I'm almost as excited as the 1st time I got laid. I nearly kissed the overweight black male DHL driver. I'll test fit them on a rebuild rack tonight and if all goes well they'll be shipping in kits and in rebuilds as of tomorrow.

Now I have to do a lot of grunt work redoing ads and pics.
Grand Saline, TX

CraigT

"Now I have to do a lot of grunt work redoing ads and pics"

That's why you make the big bucks..... ;D

Billy C

Quote from: NTXV65 on September 30, 2013, 01:05:08 PM
"Now I have to do a lot of grunt work redoing ads and pics"

That's why you make the big bucks..... ;D

Yeah, have you seen pics of my new Corvette?  :rolling:
Grand Saline, TX