July 2013 bike of the Month

Started by FromMaine, July 01, 2013, 06:07:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FromMaine

This months winner has been a long time coming. I've made the poor guy wait though for reasons I'll' explain shortly.

He's one of the rare Boardmembers who bought his bike new back in the 80's, June 11th 1985 to be exact. In the marine world its akin to being a  "Plank owner", someone who was original crew when the ship was commissioned. Since he still owns it its obvious he likes the bike, but that has not stopped him from improving on the original. In fact, he has not been afraid to pretty much go out and create a new bike out of his old one. In doing so he has created a bike virtually ever member here would love to have in his garage.

Along the way he has been kind enough to document his work, and has freely offered advice and assistance to those who asked, with a sense of purpose and humor. Where he's found the time to do all of this is beyond me.  :)

So Congratulations Kelly (Hopit88), your 1985 VF1000R is July's Bike of the Month.

A link to Kelly's post in the gallery Section.

http://v4hondabbs.com/index.php?topic=63338.0

So, why have I made Kelly wait? Well I work overseas and have been gone a lot this past year, and quite a while ago I decided I had to see this bike at some point as its probably only 5 hours from me. Well I'm back now for 2 months, and well, this is the perfect excuse to ride down and have a look. Kelly, your Trophy will be personally delivered at a time and place of your choosing.

Nice work!

Michael: 
Midcoast, Maine 
85vf1100S,83vf750f,86vfr750,85vf1000RX2,,97VFR,
90 VFR, 77 CB550

BILL PERDUE

Bill Perdue
Charleston SC
1983 V-65 Magna 
1985 V-65 Sabre
2003 HD Electra Glide Ultra Classic

OregonMike

86 VT1100C, gone.
84 V65 Magna, new toy.
Eugene, Oregon.

klopperg

Great choice, congrats Kelly  tenof10
VF750f Interceptor - 83
BMW R1200RTW - 17
BMW GS650 Dakar

Gerrie
South Africa

Warren T

You deserve it for the great photos of the work you have done, as well as the MODS, yes in caps. O0
tenof10

CraigT

Ironhead

That is truly an amazing bike. :thumb

Michael/Wal... Should a Bike of the Year be picked from the 12 Bike of the Month winners and given an even more special prize? If so, this might be an early favourite for the BotY.
Atlantic Canada
1984 V45 Magna VF750C
1984 Gold Wing Aspencade GL1200A

CruisingRam

I would buy a calender of all the BOTM winners of 2013. FYI.
1985 V-65 Sabre, viper red paint
1975 Z1-B Kawasaki 900 viper red paint

Pics of bike:
[

The Dutchy

I was just waiting for this one to become BOTM.. If Honda should ever decide to bring the 1000R back out again today, I hope they contact Kelly for the blueprints...

A well deserved spot...

Congrats Kelly..  :thumb
Those that walk along with the great herd, regularly walks through the crap left behind by others..

John Hilmer

As you all know by now I'm not generally in favor of bikes that are not restored to near factory, but this machine and the builder have class and I for one appreciate that more than just a little bit.

Congratulations Kelly on the recognition and the build, it is stunning.

The workmanship and the attention to detail really shine and I appreciate your bringing your vision into reality.

John
'86 VF500F, '87 VFR700F2 In Process, '01 KLR 650

TarHeelV4Rider

Very Nice R! Congrats!  :beer:
V4's are fun!

MB_ED

Bethesda Md.
1995 BMW R1100RS
1984 Magna 700
1986 VFR750F (project)

Hopit88

Wow!  I don't know what to say.  For me to hear others praise of my bike is truly humbling.

It would have been a difficult enough build had I had plans and drawings from someone else but I really did just dive in with both feet without really thinking it through. There were so many hurdles that would lead me to make other mods to accommodate those hurdles and so on and so on. Stepping out of my comfort zone to teach myself to weld, do paint/body work, lay carbon fiber, design/build custom parts, etc was difficult. All this while trying to make aesthetically pleasing decisions as well. I knew I wanted a bike that would scream HONDA and look like it was possibly a long forgotten model...one that you haven't seen before ...but yet strangely familiar.  A difficult task for sure.

Obviously, everything was done with me in mind. This is the bike I always lusted after...even though it never existed.
But...it flies in the face of tradition. It has drawn and will draw ire from the purists. I understand fully. I know some day it will get returned to bone stock. I don't know when, but unless I die before I get a chance, I will make it "right" in their eyes. But for now, I think I'll just enjoy riding this long lost prototype from Honda's past.

Thanks to everyone who has taken the time to write a note of praise. I'd be lying if I said it didn't feel good, especially from this V4-centric group. There isn't another place on the web that can hold a candle to this place for 1st Gen know-how...NONE.

Lastly, thanks to Michael for including me in this company. I'll take you up on your offer of delivery if I can buy lunch...say...Gritty McDuff's in Portland's Old Port?  My schedule is tight for a bit but hopefully we can make it happen before you ship out again.

Thanks guys,
Kelly

Kelly
NH
'85 Vf1000R x3
'86 VF1000R
'84 Vf1000F x2

Ironhead

Quote from: CruisingRam on July 01, 2013, 03:26:08 PM
I would buy a calender of all the BOTM winners of 2013. FYI.

That sounds like a fantastic idea!  :thumb Maybe a great idea for a fundraiser for board expenses or some other fund that the forum community decides on. We've had many instances in the past where the board has purchased engines or raised funds for members for other reasons. A 2014 calendar that contains the 2013 BotM winners would probably raise a significant amount of dough. Easily enough to at least put a significant dent in the hosting costs of the forum, if not pay 'em outright for the year.
Atlantic Canada
1984 V45 Magna VF750C
1984 Gold Wing Aspencade GL1200A

chazglenn3

Beautiful bike...congrats, Kelly!
Charles
2008 FJR1300A
1984 V65 Magna
1983 V65 Magna
1993 ST1100A
Tacoma, WA

Joep

Really, a great bike and a deserved place in the 'V4 Hall of Fame'......

Well....

At least BOTM :beer:
The beautiful S-E of the Netherlands
VF750F
Road&Track, just let 'm rip.

EV

Great Job all around Kelly!
  I love all the action pics as I call them of  your step by step frame up, your build goes way over the top in fabrication skills, hats off to you on hitting the retro super bike look, if there is such a thing, but that is what hits me when I see the finished product. Definitely a labor of love.
Once again, Beautiful Job!  Congrates on BOTM, I am again humbled to be in such great company.

Earl
Myrtle Beach, SC
83 V65 Magna Pearl Siren Blue traded 
for 2x 85 and 1x 84  now restored

GreyVF750F

Hear hear great pic for BOM. Congrates Kelly.
01 BlackBird, VF750F-Sold,  West of Cleve, Oh. Other toy-66 GTO with a 2bbl motor. It has 3 of them.

subsidiarymaxima

Congrats, Kelly!  Amazing bike!   tenof10
James
Forest Grove, OR
Gone: '87 600 Hurricane, '75 CB400F, '83 VF750F, '86 VFR750F

Hopit88

Thanks guys. Much appreciated.
Kelly
NH
'85 Vf1000R x3
'86 VF1000R
'84 Vf1000F x2

motorhead1977

Superb.  And it looks even better in person!!!
VFR400 BMW R1250RS
Albany,NY Gone:VF500,VF750Fs VF1000Fs,R VFR 800 CBR250 GL1800 FXDWG,15 Ducati

John Hilmer

Quote from: Hopit88 on July 01, 2013, 09:54:27 PM
Wow!  I don't know what to say.  For me to hear others praise of my bike is truly humbling.

It would have been a difficult enough build had I had plans and drawings from someone else but I really did just dive in with both feet without really thinking it through. There were so many hurdles that would lead me to make other mods to accommodate those hurdles and so on and so on. Stepping out of my comfort zone to teach myself to weld, do paint/body work, lay carbon fiber, design/build custom parts, etc was difficult. All this while trying to make aesthetically pleasing decisions as well. I knew I wanted a bike that would scream HONDA and look like it was possibly a long forgotten model...one that you haven't seen before ...but yet strangely familiar.  A difficult task for sure.

Obviously, everything was done with me in mind. This is the bike I always lusted after...even though it never existed.
But...it flies in the face of tradition. It has drawn and will draw ire from the purists. I understand fully. I know some day it will get returned to bone stock. I don't know when, but unless I die before I get a chance, I will make it "right" in their eyes. But for now, I think I'll just enjoy riding this long lost prototype from Honda's past.

Thanks to everyone who has taken the time to write a note of praise. I'd be lying if I said it didn't feel good, especially from this V4-centric group. There isn't another place on the web that can hold a candle to this place for 1st Gen know-how...NONE.

Lastly, thanks to Michael for including me in this company. I'll take you up on your offer of delivery if I can buy lunch...say...Gritty McDuff's in Portland's Old Port?  My schedule is tight for a bit but hopefully we can make it happen before you ship out again.

Thanks guys,
Kelly

Kelly,

Reading through your post again what strikes me is that you may at some point elect to restore it to factory livery. In my opinion that would be a very bad decision considering what you have produced. Please consider that there are quite a number of good examples of stock versions and only one like your masterpiece.

John

Hopit88

Quote from: John Hilmer on July 16, 2013, 06:27:35 PM
Kelly,
Reading through your post again what strikes me is that you may at some point elect to restore it to factory livery. In my opinion that would be a very bad decision considering what you have produced. Please consider that there are quite a number of good examples of stock versions and only one like your masterpiece.
John

John, you are the 2nd person among those I have great respect for in motorcycle cyberspace that has suggested I keep it as is. If I had to look inward for a reason to return it to stock...I guess I'm just seeing me in my twilight years, foolishly trying to recapture a bit of my youth by having the very object that brought me so much pleasure. There's also a part of me that thinks it would be cool for my son to one day own, and enjoy, his fathers 50 year old  stock VF1000R.

That being said, it would be incredibly, incredibly difficult to take a sander to the old girl the way she sits now. Thanks as always for the kind words.

Kelly
Kelly
NH
'85 Vf1000R x3
'86 VF1000R
'84 Vf1000F x2

Jeff in Franklin TN

You have done an amazing job on that machine.
The journey is the destination.
83 V65 Magna
00 VFR (Love it!!)
07 VFR AE

John Hilmer

Quote from: Hopit88 on July 16, 2013, 11:00:07 PM
Quote from: John Hilmer on July 16, 2013, 06:27:35 PM
Kelly,
John

John, you are the 2nd person among those I have great respect for in motorcycle cyberspace that has suggested I keep it as is. If I had to look inward for a reason to return it to stock...I guess I'm just seeing me in my twilight years, foolishly trying to recapture a bit of my youth by having the very object that brought me so much pleasure. There's also a part of me that thinks it would be cool for my son to one day own, and enjoy, his fathers 50 year old  stock VF1000R.

That being said, it would be incredibly, incredibly difficult to take a sander to the old girl the way she sits now. Thanks as always for the kind words.

Kelly

Kelly,

I have a solution to your strife.

Grab another that needs a beauty treatment and restore it.

Simple, no?

Gosh I love simple solutions no matter how much work it may cause you.

Clearly the respect thing goes both ways.

I would still be really disappointed to see this creation violated.

John

The Dutchy

Quote from: John Hilmer on July 17, 2013, 05:59:38 PM
Grab another that needs a beauty treatment and restore it.

Amen... Go over everything and keep it original as can be done..

Quote from: John Hilmer on July 17, 2013, 05:59:38 PM
I would still be really disappointed to see this creation violated.

Amen 2... No needs for improvement... That bike is awesome...

IOW I'd like to see a #2 on the front cowl.... But then a #2 version of the RVF1000R..  :pope:

Those that walk along with the great herd, regularly walks through the crap left behind by others..

John Hilmer

Kelly, Raymond & All,

From Steevo's posts and other insights I have regarding the VF1K machines parts are not a small problem. This is even worse for my VFR 400 RH 2 for me.

Given time and effort even a blind dog like me finds a bone every once in a while at a cost that I can accept. Just yesterday I received a right hand muffler, new in the Honda box for the VF 500 F that I needed. It cost me $74.00 shipped. I've looked for this for over 3 years.

The point I want to make here is that it can all happen if you put your mind to it and take the long time approach; but there is luck involved as well.

Kelly, you have impressed me with your build and what you have done to get the bike into the current configuration. I can appreciate the time and effort involved easily enough.

Bringing a real factory version back to a restored livery in great condition will require more patience and most likely much more time. If I were to take on such a project I would only consider the '86. I would do this because it is the best of the three year versions with the least design problems.

Yeah, I've though about doing it, but I'm too old and weak. I'll leave this to you and Steve that can still do what I can't any more.

There is a wee challenge above, nothing more.

I know that you can do this.

John

klopperg

Quote from: The Dutchy on July 17, 2013, 06:45:21 PM

IOW I'd like to see a #2 on the front cowl.... But then a #2 version of the RVF1000R..  :pope:

I fully agree with Dutchy, #2 will be awesome. :thumb
VF750f Interceptor - 83
BMW R1200RTW - 17
BMW GS650 Dakar

Gerrie
South Africa

CraigT

Got to meet Kelly in person this morning, great guy. His wife was even kind enough to bring some Dunkin Donuts out to us  ;D Got to see the mighty R up close and it is truly just as awesome up close as any pic will show Well done sir!

:beer:

Hopit88

Quote from: NTXV65 on July 24, 2013, 01:25:38 PM
Got to meet Kelly in person this morning, great guy. His wife was even kind enough to bring some Dunkin Donuts out to us  ;D Got to see the mighty R up close and it is truly just as awesome up close as any pic will show Well done sir!
:beer:

The treat was mine Craig.  Nice to put a face to a name. I'd ride with you any day! Hope you have fun in the back woods of Maine. :thumb
Kelly
NH
'85 Vf1000R x3
'86 VF1000R
'84 Vf1000F x2