GL1100 carbs

Started by Billy C, June 07, 2013, 11:45:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Billy C

Just showing off. I have no desire to start taking these on. Not that hard to do now that I got past the initioal learning curve but lacking my own kits and spare parts... I'll leave them to someone else at this time. Took this set on in a weak moment.

83 V65 Magna gathering dust
Grand Saline, TX

CraigT

Sweet! Looking good. :thumb

masonv45

Billy,
    Got a set on my bench right now - halfway through rebuilding.  Just as complicated as the V4 carbs!
Mason
85 VF700F "Phoenix
84 VF700F "Cerberus (de-parted 'out')

Billy C

I wasn't thrilled by the throttle synch design. No springs to lose but it ain't as slick a design.  :???:
Grand Saline, TX

murphken

Hey Billy and Mason,
Where is a good place to get GL1100 carb rebuild parts?  I have one carb rebuilt off of parts on ebay and the quality was not optimal.
Thank you kindly,
Murph
Harrisburg, PA
1991 ST1100
1993 Yamaha GTS1000
2-1985 V65 Sabres
1-1984 V65 Sabre
2-GL1100s

Billy C

This set came with a rebuild kit put together by Randakk. Nice kit but probably expensive. afaik Randakk is the GW carb God. Google him and see what he has on his website.

Just for giggles I looked into all the kit parts. I can source all of it relatively cheaply but can't find the preformed gasket that goes between the 2 air chamber halves. Might be a Honda only part. No, I'm not going into GW carb kit biz.  ;)
Grand Saline, TX

murphken

Thanks Billy,
Your V65 kits have worked very well for me.  Nice to chat with you again.
Keep er' on two wheels,
Murph
Harrisburg, PA
1991 ST1100
1993 Yamaha GTS1000
2-1985 V65 Sabres
1-1984 V65 Sabre
2-GL1100s

klopperg

Beautiful job you have done there Billy  :thumb
You are allowed to blow your own horn, it is well deserved.
VF750f Interceptor - 83
BMW R1200RTW - 17
BMW GS650 Dakar

Gerrie
South Africa

MSGT-R

http://randakks.com/

Trust Randalls kits before the aftermarket stuff that is out there; the o-rings are often too thin and you'll be raining fuel everywhere!! I know, that happened to me.  :boom:
Terri
V65 Magna, KLR250
F6B Wing,
Mojave250 ATV

Billy C

Ralphken and Terri - Sirius kits by chance? I ask because I have a rack of GW carbs that I bought years ago as a test case. I will rebuild and sell them at some point and I tend to use Sirius for one off kits.
Grand Saline, TX

MSGT-R

partsnmore.com

Don't know the brand name. The plenum gasket was Honda from the dealer.
I did find that Yamaha fuel injector o-rings (blue) were a perfect fit.
Terri
V65 Magna, KLR250
F6B Wing,
Mojave250 ATV

Billy C

I did see that Randakks kit were 90% brown o-rings. Gots to be those fancy Fluorocarbon aka Viton ones. I'm getting towards the bottom of my supply of float bowl o-rings in nitrile, which works well, and may see what the bump in price would be for the Viton. As John H told me not all Viton is created the same. There are different subfamilies so I have to get the right ones if I am going to phase over.
Grand Saline, TX