April 2013 Bike of the Month

Started by FromMaine, April 01, 2013, 10:51:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FromMaine

I saw this months winner when it was posted a few years back. I thought to myself then that this was a very nice example of a V45 Magna. Now those of you that know me know I'm not into Magna's or cruisers in general, and you have more fingers, than I have washed all of my V4's combined since 2006, but that does not mean I don't appreciate someone elses hard work.

So without further adieu, Congratulations Ben (BenNCSU) your 83 V45 Magna is April 2013's Bike of the Month.

A link to Bens post in the Gallery Section.

http://v4hondabbs.com/index.php?topic=52557.0

I'm away right now on vacation with my wife and daughter but will send you your trophy when I get back to Maine.

Michael: 
Midcoast, Maine 
85vf1100S,83vf750f,86vfr750,85vf1000RX2,,97VFR,
90 VFR, 77 CB550

Stretch

83 - VF1100C
84 - VF1100C "The Bast@rd Magna"
2.75 - 84 VF1100S

John Hilmer

Ben,

Congratulations on the bike and the recognition of your accomplishment.

John
'86 VF500F, '87 VFR700F2 In Process, '01 KLR 650

klopperg

Congrats Ben, well done  tenof10
Good choice Michael. :thumb
VF750f Interceptor - 83
BMW R1200RTW - 17
BMW GS650 Dakar

Gerrie
South Africa

BenNCSU

Thanks Michael and all! I really appreciate the compliments and recognition. When I bought the V45 it was a complete, non-running bike. I'd never rebuilt a bike, let alone a carburetor, before that. I had gone back to college at the time to get a degree in civil engineering, and the V45 was my distraction and stress reliever. I learned a LOT fixing up this bike and met a lot of great people along the way as well.

This comes at an odd time as I actually posted the V45 for sale last weekend. Now I'm second guessing that decision. Some of you know that I also have a V65 Magna that turned into quite an ordeal to restore. I finished it about a year ago and barely rode the V45 in 2012, which is why I thought it was time to part ways with it. I've been back and forth on this before, but never actually put an ad up.

I guess I've got a decision to make- sell it or keep it - and if I'm going to keep it what do I do with it? Right now I'm thinking about keeping it, tearing it down, and doing a really thorough restoration. That said, I listed it kind of high with the hopes that someone who appreciated these old V4s and the work that has gone into this one would buy it and I'd have a hard time turning down my asking price. Decisions, decisions...

Thanks again everyone!  :beer:
'83 VF1100C
'01 GL1500CF
'83 VF1100C (sold)
'83 VF750C 4/13 BOTM (sold)

msleboda

Beautiful job Ben!  :thumb

DON'T SELL IT!!!!  I had an 83 v45 ( one owner, low mileage, great original condition), and when I got my 83 v65 magna I wasn't riding the V45 much so I sold it.  I still miss it and regret selling it.
Marty
1983 v65 Magna
1982 GL500I
1986 GL1200I
2007 GL1800PM7
Dickson City, Pa

Malm

1983 V-65 Magna 3.40
West Tennessee

Miecul

Mike
Deep River, Ontario Canada
82 Yamaha Verago
83 V45 Magna
84 V65 Magna

NormanB

84 V65 Magna - Black

TarHeelV4Rider

That's a purdy V45 for sure! Congrats, Ben!  :beer:
V4's are fun!

rrwarrenvanman

Quote from: BenNCSU on April 02, 2013, 10:44:31 AM
Thanks Michael and all! I really appreciate the compliments and recognition. When I bought the V45 it was a complete, non-running bike. I'd never rebuilt a bike, let alone a carburetor, before that. I had gone back to college at the time to get a degree in civil engineering, and the V45 was my distraction and stress reliever. I learned a LOT fixing up this bike and met a lot of great people along the way as well.

This comes at an odd time as I actually posted the V45 for sale last weekend. Now I'm second guessing that decision. Some of you know that I also have a V65 Magna that turned into quite an ordeal to restore. I finished it about a year ago and barely rode the V45 in 2012, which is why I thought it was time to part ways with it. I've been back and forth on this before, but never actually put an ad up.

I guess I've got a decision to make- sell it or keep it - and if I'm going to keep it what do I do with it? Right now I'm thinking about keeping it, tearing it down, and doing a really thorough restoration. That said, I listed it kind of high with the hopes that someone who appreciated these old V4s and the work that has gone into this one would buy it and I'd have a hard time turning down my asking price. Decisions, decisions...

Thanks again everyone!  :beer:

Sell it, buy a 2nd V65.  You will never miss the V45.
Ron Warren
Woodhaven, Mi.
ronrwarren@gmail.com
83 V65 Magna blue
83 V65 Magna black

EV

:thumb  once you can get a v45 to look and run good,  getting a v65 to run great is easy  :beer:
Myrtle Beach, SC
83 V65 Magna Pearl Siren Blue traded 
for 2x 85 and 1x 84  now restored

OregonMike

86 VT1100C, gone.
84 V65 Magna, new toy.
Eugene, Oregon.

Six7390GT

Congratulations! Beautiful work.  :beer:
83 V65 Magna
99 Valkyrie Tourer
84 V65 Sabre
67 Honda CL77

powerwolve

Congrats Ben!  Makes me want to drive down the road and swap bikes with you to see what one that is tuned correctly rides like
1985 VF700C
Raleigh, NC

John Hilmer

Ben & All,

I'm a bit surprised at the lack of expressed appreciation for what Ben did to restore this machine.

Ben did a very fine bit of work on this bike.

I realize that I am one that is most impressed with restorations to save these machines, and perhaps some aren't so inclined.

Regardless of the perspective, Ben has added to the pool of knowledge by his experience and for that alone this thread should be showing more replies than it currently has in my opinion.

For my part, I"ll add that I for one appreciated his build thread and all that Ben did to bring this one back.

John

CruisingRam

Nice work, very clean, very nice looking bike!
1985 V-65 Sabre, viper red paint
1975 Z1-B Kawasaki 900 viper red paint

Pics of bike:
[

John Hilmer

Quote from: powerwolve on April 08, 2013, 10:55:08 AM
Congrats Ben!  Makes me want to drive down the road and swap bikes with you to see what one that is tuned correctly rides like

This seems so obvious to me that you two should hook up and compare.

Of all of the V-4's and the VTR 250's that I have had I have never seen, ridden or heard another. How can we know if things are really correct if we do not have a comparison?

Back when I had the '85 VF 700 S I rode with Tom Da Quista on his cherry '83 VF 1100 C. He commented that my Sabre didn't "Sound" right. I had no clue what it should sound like. I'd never heard one run.

Try to get together if you can.

John

chazglenn3

Charles
2008 FJR1300A
1984 V65 Magna
1983 V65 Magna
1993 ST1100A
Tacoma, WA

John Hilmer

Ben & All,

On the eve of your month ending I will say that you did a fine bit of work.

You should be proud of what you PRODUCED.

Enjoying it at this point is the earned gift, though it adds to the soiling and the cleaning up after the rides.

As has been said many times before, we never seem to be satisfied and the continuing efforts to be as we want seems an ever and forever work of care.

I for one appreciate what you have accomplished.

Tomorrow, if Mike has a connection, we may get to see the next award.

As I bid your time as the honored machine farewell, I look forward to the next selection.

Michael, we are waiting, or at least I am.

John

BenNCSU

Just had to post a quick update. I sold the V45 on 5/1. Thought it was ironic I listed it on 3/31, had it for all of April, then sold it the first day of May. I got a few good rides in before I sold it, and felt good about the guy who bought it. I told him about this forum so hopefully he joins and keeps the bike in the family, so to speak.

Thanks again to everyone for the compliments.  :beer:
'83 VF1100C
'01 GL1500CF
'83 VF1100C (sold)
'83 VF750C 4/13 BOTM (sold)