March 2013 Bike of the Month

Started by FromMaine, March 01, 2013, 07:39:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FromMaine

This was a tough decision. There were a number of candidates on the shortlist that merited consideration but there can only be one and I made the choice. I will say though that one of the ones under consideration is a definite future BOTM.

This months winner is known to us all here even if you have only joined recently. He is very generous with his time, knowledge, tools and his garage. I know this for a fact as I was in his driveway with my Sabre's rear wheel and shaft torn apart checking a damper problem 3300 miles from my garage with my daughter while we were going cross country in 2010. He has also helped other Board members with their bikes, or sent parts or loaned tools as needed. As far as Board members go, they don't get any better than this one.

He also happens to rebuild V4's with an eye to detail and a proficiency that I can only hope to achieve, and in case your wondering, yes, I have stood inside the fabled "Living Room Garage".

Congratulations John Hilmer, your Vf500F is March 2013's Bike of the Month.

A link to Johns thread on the rebuild.

http://v4hondabbs.com/index.php?topic=52432.0

Michael: 
Midcoast, Maine 
85vf1100S,83vf750f,86vfr750,85vf1000RX2,,97VFR,
90 VFR, 77 CB550

CraigT

Yep, that's a sweet one alright. a well deserved kudos to you John!  :thumb

chazglenn3

I cannot think of a more deserving member than John Hilmer.  Congrats, John!  That bike is actually nicer than when new!   tenof10 :thumb :bow:
Charles
2008 FJR1300A
1984 V65 Magna
1983 V65 Magna
1993 ST1100A
Tacoma, WA

Stretch

And rightly deserved. Congrats John.
83 - VF1100C
84 - VF1100C "The Bast@rd Magna"
2.75 - 84 VF1100S

Miecul

There are only good words that can describe John Hilmer. What Michael said and a whole lot more. His work reflects the kind of man he is. Although we've never met face to face, (I hope that will change someday) I've come to know him a little more each time we write. I also know he hates being the center of attention, but work like he has done so many times, can't be hid away. I only hope I can learn 50% of what he has stored away in his head. Well done John. The world's a better place with you in it.  :thumb :beer: :thumb
Mike
Deep River, Ontario Canada
82 Yamaha Verago
83 V45 Magna
84 V65 Magna

Hopit88

Even if his bike didn't look so amazing, he's always in the running for member of the month! I send that pic to anyone asking about a 500 rebuild. Bravo!
Kelly
NH
'85 Vf1000R x3
'86 VF1000R
'84 Vf1000F x2

Six7390GT

Great Choice. I've never met John either, but I think if the rest of the world was a little more like him, it would be a better place.
83 V65 Magna
99 Valkyrie Tourer
84 V65 Sabre
67 Honda CL77

The Dutchy

A well deserved spot...

Congrats John, you are a great guy. Don't know how the forum would be without your posts...

Dutchy
Those that walk along with the great herd, regularly walks through the crap left behind by others..

John Hilmer

Michael & All,

I'm not real good with words, especially when trying to express my feelings at a time like this. There are so many excellent restorations and projects all across the country and beyond that I have to say that I believe that this honor is not for this build being the best. I see it as just my turn in a string of really superior and stunning efforts by many of us. I could list quite a number of folks and their works, that I'm sure are better than my own. I won't try to list them, we all know who they are, and I'm sure that Michael will be tapping them soon.

I'm just one like the many here that enjoys the process, sometimes more than riding.

When Michael was here and working on his Sabre, I tried to help a bit, but he did the real work. While he was wrenching I started to clean and add some polish to the pumpkin. When He saw this his comment was, "What are you doing? Are ya trying to turn it into a Magna?"

It is just a habit Michael, I can't help it.

Thank you all so much,

John
'86 VF500F, '87 VFR700F2 In Process, '01 KLR 650

Jeff in Franklin TN

If I ever see that bike in person....... ;D........I'm going to drool all over it. (black wheels make the bike faster though)  ;)
The journey is the destination.
83 V65 Magna
00 VFR (Love it!!)
07 VFR AE

v65infla

Recalling what I can of the build and the effort that went into it, I think it is a candidate for bike of the year!
Jamie
Fort Pierce, Fl.
2022 Honda Goldwing DCT Tour

Jeff in Franklin TN

Quote from: v65infla on March 03, 2013, 01:48:20 PM
Recalling what I can of the build and the effort that went into it, I think it is a candidate for bike of the year!
I WAS THINKING THE SAME THING!!
The journey is the destination.
83 V65 Magna
00 VFR (Love it!!)
07 VFR AE

Capt. Capsize

If I had an Interceptor that looked like that I would park it in the living room too.
VF1100C Magna 1984
VF750 Magna 1998 Fl.
VF750 Magna 2001 Pa.
VF700 Magna Super
VF1100 Mag. 1985

v4forever

Congratulations John on being the BOTM.
As I have only seen this bike in unassembled in your carpeted man cave, it sure looks nice now.
And yes John's work is museum quality.
Not sure if we will swing by your place this year, vacationing on Vancouver Island this summer.
Al
Vancouver, B.C.

2005 ST 1300 ABS
2010 Uni Go Trailer
1982 V45 Sabre

Howtech

When this topic opened this was the bike I first thought of.

Congrats Mr. Hilmer.

:beer:

<><
'85 V65 Magna
'74 S3 trip Kaw
'87 GL1200I GoldWing Interstate

OregonMike

Congrats  :beer:  Well deserved recognition!
86 VT1100C, gone.
84 V65 Magna, new toy.
Eugene, Oregon.

Doc4pcs

I agree with the others, you deserve it. That's a beautiful bike.

Congrats John!
83 V45 Magna 
84 VF700 Sabre
84 V65 Magna

87 Super Magna
84 V65 Magna

TarHeelV4Rider

Very nice, indeed! Congratulations, John! tenof10
Have a good'ern!
Hunter
V4's are fun!

klopperg

Quote from: saber_35 on March 03, 2013, 03:12:40 PM
Quote from: v65infla on March 03, 2013, 01:48:20 PM
I WAS THINKING THE SAME THING!!
AHMEN TO THAT!!
VF750f Interceptor - 83
BMW R1200RTW - 17
BMW GS650 Dakar

Gerrie
South Africa

N2BRK

Awesome choice; owner and bike  :beer:

Big Al in NY

If I ever take my "fix my bike" trip I'll schedule a week for John, lol.

Congrats, it is sweet looking!

Big Al

Stretch

Is your living room on the first floor?

;D
83 - VF1100C
84 - VF1100C "The Bast@rd Magna"
2.75 - 84 VF1100S

EV

I know the effort and determination you put into this bike John, congratulations on a magnificent restore, just beautiful,  :thumb

Earl
Myrtle Beach, SC
83 V65 Magna Pearl Siren Blue traded 
for 2x 85 and 1x 84  now restored

klopperg

There is only one flaw in that bike, it is to clean to ride.  :wal:
Well if it was mine, it would have staid in the living room as an ornament.  ;D
VF750f Interceptor - 83
BMW R1200RTW - 17
BMW GS650 Dakar

Gerrie
South Africa

BILL PERDUE

:thumb what they said. Great job
Bill Perdue
Charleston SC
1983 V-65 Magna 
1985 V-65 Sabre
2003 HD Electra Glide Ultra Classic

mloaks

1984 VF700S, Billy wires and all kinds of hacked
Mike, Southern Maryland

mxdadx2

totally awesome john. i likey  :beer:
scott
1985 v65 magna-black 23k
auburn al
jmscottsorter@yahoo.com

Raymond in Houston

Nice bike... well deserved........ :thumb
Raymond Johnson
Houston, TX.
Retired Official BBS Douche... Rest in Peace.

djohnson3626

Sweet looking machine, you deserve the honor John!!
85 V65 Sabre, Oil Mod, Corbin, Rifle,
David in Eagan, MN

John Hilmer

Folks,

I was planning to wait until Friday the 29th to reply thinking that all replies would be received by then, but it seems that this is complete now.

To me, what makes this honor of the highest value is that he who selected this machine and those who have commented are probably more talented and capable than I. So it bears witnessing that I hold these folks and more in high regard.

There are members here that deliberately avoided making comments; I assume for different reasons. Some probably because they like me shun the spot light and others that are just plain thinking this sort of thing is not of value.

I have to answer the last implied because I was reticent to allow my bike to be considered knowing it's faults.

The turning point in my allowing this machine to be considered, was when it was suggested to me that if I allowed this to happen, it might get someone to try to improve what was in hand.

To me saving these machines, whatever the flavor, is the golden purpose.

Clearly I am humbled by the honor and look forward to see the following selections as well as those posted in the restoration threads.

John

'86 VF500F, '87 VFR700F2 In Process, '01 KLR 650