Procedure to register onto BBS??

Started by CraigD, May 28, 2008, 07:42:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CraigD

I pointed the guy that bought my V65 to the BBS, but yesterday he said he was unable to register.  Using his email address, I tried to register him myself and got the message that he wasn't allowed to register.  He had never heard of the BBS before, so I wouldn't think he had previously been banned.  Is there some procedure that I am missing?

BTW, he is using a gmail account.  Is that an issue?

Craig
Centreville, VA
84 V65 Magna
84 V65 Sabre

Doc4pcs

I think that I had read somewhere on here before that gmail accounts didn't work  :???:
83 V45 Magna 
84 VF700 Sabre
84 V65 Magna

87 Super Magna
84 V65 Magna

Big Al in NY

Use his ISP email address and he'll be fine.

Big Al

Doc4pcs

Just found it in the Rules for the bbs

"When registering, use an email address from your ISP account; ie not yahoo, gmail, etc."
83 V45 Magna 
84 VF700 Sabre
84 V65 Magna

87 Super Magna
84 V65 Magna

CraigD

Quote"When registering, use an email address from your ISP account; ie not yahoo, gmail, etc."

Great, thanks for pointing this out.  I'll pass this along and hopefully he will join the BBS soon.

Craig
Centreville, VA
84 V65 Magna
84 V65 Sabre

pigoo3

One other thought is...the new guy may have received his registration confirmation e-mail...but it might have gone into a "Spam" folder, instead of his "New Mail" folder in his e-mail program.

When registering here...this is mentioned as a possibility.  It happened to me...registration confirmation e-mail whet to my spam folder.

- Nick
1982 Honda Magna VF750C
Cincinnati, Ohio

Midias

I use gmail now but I used an aol address to register.

Larry in Michigan

I thought the BBS was full and
no new members could register
until someone dies.
Larry in Michigan (St. Clair Shores)

scherhmj

We are all MUCH HAPPIER when someone uses a real email address versus gmail/yahoo/ect but the biggest problem folks have in registering is usually the response email going to their SPAM folder. Then they try 5 more times with variations on their original user name choice with the same results. If you've got a friend having a problem please drop me a note or PM and I can preregister them.  :thumb

PS. Friends don't let friends leave their sig lines blank.  :lol8:

kennyw

I had to use a different email address other than my normal gmail account to sign up, but was able to switch it back after I signed up.  Some of us don't get an email address from our ISP though.
Kenny - N9PHW
1982 Honda V45 Magna (VF750C)

Zenon

Quote from: scherhmj on May 28, 2008, 11:48:14 AM
We are all MUCH HAPPIER when someone uses a real email address ......
At first glance I thought I read something different. Corresponding to the previous posting I thought you had typed "We are all much happier when someone dies." I'd have spit my coffeee if'n Ida had one in me hand

rrwarrenvanman

Mike, I believe there are many V4 riders out there that do not have an ISP, they log onto the internet at work, the library or whatever.  I recently recommended a guy that was rejected because the only email address he had was a hotmail account.

There must be some compromise that would let them join the board?
Ron Warren
Woodhaven, Mi.
ronrwarren@gmail.com
83 V65 Magna blue
83 V65 Magna black

scherhmj

Quote from: rrwarrenvanman on May 28, 2008, 08:09:08 PM
Mike, I believe there are many V4 riders out there that do not have an ISP, they log onto the internet at work, the library or whatever.  I recently recommended a guy that was rejected because the only email address he had was a hotmail account.

There must be some compromise that would let them join the board?

Ron,
  I didn't say they couldn't do it , just that the mods are happier! If your friend is having a problem just drop me a note with his desired id and email address, if it's available I register him and sned him his id/password. He can then change his password to whatever he wants.  :thumb

rrwarrenvanman

Thanks Mike.  I am away from my home computor for a month.  Will have to track him down and have him re-apply.  His name is Steve Cooney.
Ron Warren
Woodhaven, Mi.
ronrwarren@gmail.com
83 V65 Magna blue
83 V65 Magna black

Quinn

Are any Mods able to help register a new member since Mike left?  I've got a guy from another forum that just picked up a v45 Magna and wants to join.   :???: Unfortunately all he's got it a gmail addr
1982 V45 Sabre VF750S, 2012 Moto Guzzi Griso 1200
NoVA